Current & Recent Awards
PhD Studentships 2014
Fourteen PhD Studentships were awarded,tenable from autumn 2015. Details of the Studentships will be posted following their formal acceptance.
You can download information about the PhD Studentships awarded in 2012, in 2013 and in 2014. Alternatively, you can find more information on the several PhD projects by following the location links on the left-hand panel.
Medical Research Scotland Sponsored Daphne Jackson Trust Fellowships
In 2014 the first two Medical Research Scotland Sponsored Daphne Jackson Trust Fellowships were awarded to:
- Dr Elaine Hunter (Institute of Neuroscience & Psychology, Glasgow University), supervised by Dr Stuart Cobb & Dr. Mark Bailey, for a two-year, part-time study investigating the electrical and mitochondrial activity of GABAergic neurons in a mouse model of Rett Syndrome and their sensitivity to MECP2 mutation.
- Dr Sarah Buchanan (Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, University of Glasgow), supervised by Dr Gillain Douce & Professor John Coia, for a two-year, part-time investigation of the molecular evolution of Clostridium difficile Ribotype 078.
Undergraduate Vacation Scholarships
A total of 30 Vacation Scholarships were held during the 2014 summer vacation. There were 45 Vacation Scholarships during summer 2013, 18 during summer 2012, 17 during summer 2011 and 12 during summer 2010.
Summary information about the vacation projects, the students and their supervisors is available for download using the links above and can also be found by following the location links on the left-hand panel.
Applications are now OPEN for up to 50 Vacation Scholarships to be held in summer 2015.
Research Project Grants [no longer available]
The following are those who currently hold the last Research Project Grants awarded by the Trust.
- Dr Leanne McKay (Institute of Neuroscience & Psychology, Glasgow University), for a three-year study aiming to improve understanding of the development and maturation of the neural control of breathing.
- Dr Barry J.A. Laird & Professor Marie Fallon (Palliative Medicine, Edinburgh Cancer Centre, Edinburgh University), Professor Donald Macmillan (Surgery, Glasgow University) & Professor Kenneth Fearon (Surgery, Edinburgh University), for a three-year investigation of inflammatory biomarkers in prognosis in advanced cancer (IPAC Study).
- Dr Louise S. Bicknell (Institute of Genetics & Molecular Medicine, Edinburgh University) for a three-year project which seeks to uncover the genetic causes of primordial dwarfism: harnessing gene discovery to gain insights into how humans grow.
- Dr Richard Mort & Professor Iain Jackson (Medical & Developmental Genetics, MRC Human Genetics Unit, Edinburgh) & Dr Kevin Painter (Mathematics, Heriot-Watt University), for a 36-month project to take an integrated multidisciplinary approach to modelling normal neural crest cell development and the abnormalities that contribute to human birth defects.
- Dr Hui-Rong Jiang (Institute of Pharmacy & Biomedical Sciences, Strathclyde University), for a 30-month investigation of IL-33 activity in the development of neurological autoimmune diseases.
- Dr Bing Lang, Dr Sanbing Shen & Professor Colin D. McCaig (Institute of Medical Sciences, Aberdeen University) and Dr Colin Smith (Pathology, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh), for a three-year project aiming to uncover novel biomarkers for schizophrenia.